In Bapan, people age very slowly and don’t struggle with obesity; villagers in their 90s and even 100s are often still out in their gardens and farms. There is virtually no heart disease or cancer. Dementia is all but unheard of.
Their secrets are:
- A good diet free of added sugars and processed foods
- Physical activity with almost every waking moment of their lives spent in motion
- Smile more
- Rethink stress
- Don’t forget to play
- Look forward to aging, the best years of your life
Health.comThose who have researched the best way to age will not be surprised at these tips. If you visit the health.com website, they recommend the top 10 habits shown in the image below to give you a longer, healthier life.
They also suggest 15 Eating Habits that will help you live longer. Again there are few surprises here.
- Get 95% of your food from plants
- Consume meat no more than twice a week
- Eat up to 3 ounces of fish daily
- Cut back on dairy
- Enjoy up to three eggs per week
- Add a half cup of cooked beans every day
- Switch to sourdough or whole-wheat
- Slash your sugar consumption
- Snack on two handfuls of nuts per day
- Stick with foods that are recognizable for what they are
- Up your water intake
- When you drink alcohol, make it red wine
- Drink green tea
- Get your caffeine fix from coffee
- Perfect protein pairings
Blue ZonesAll this is hardly new. In our sister publication Senior Health Memos, some years back we published an article on How To Live To Be 100.
That included a 19 minutes video of a talk given by Dan Buettner in 2009. He and his team had been studying the world’s “Blue Zones” in collaboration with National Geographic. These are communities whose elders live with vim and vigor to record-setting ages. They include Nuoro province in the island of Sardinia, the archipelago of Okinawa and a community of Seventh-Day Adventists concentrated in and around Loma Linda, California.
In the video he shares the 9 common diet and lifestyle habits that keep them all spry past age 100. Perhaps there is no surprise that it is very much the same message as we saw In that Chinese Village of Bapan. Here is that video: